Prospective Student FAQ

How will disability support services at the University of Illinois differ from those I received in high school?

See our page about transitioning to college.

How do I apply for admission to the University of Illinois?

DRES cannot admit students to the University of Illinois. All students must apply for admission through the Office of Admissions.

Should I send documentation (i.e., diagnostic testing, psychological evaluation, medical records, vision or hearing report) of my disability to the Office of Admissions with my application to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign?

No. Any documentation of your disability should be sent to the Disability Resources and Educational Services (DRES), the office on campus which coordinates services for students with disabilities, at 1207 S. Oak Street, Champaign, IL 61820.

What if I do not meet all of the high school coursework requirements, grade point average or ACT/SAT scores that are required to be considered for admission as an entering freshman?

The Admissions Committee for the college to which you have applied will review your application. If you do not meet all of the criteria required for admission, you will need to document why you do not meet the specified requirements, and emphasize why you should still be considered for admission in a Personal Statement that you submit with your application.

What if I have not met the admission requirement for a foreign language by taking foreign language classes in high school?

The University of Illinois expects that all students should have at least two years of high school foreign language when they are admitted. It is preferred that students take all four years in high school, fulfilling the University’s foreign language requirement to graduate, so they would not need to take a foreign language at the U of I. DRES encourages all students to attempt to take a foreign language in high school using all necessary accommodations that are available, however, if this is not possible, it would need to be documented on the application through the personal statement.  Please note that even if the foreign language requirement is waived for admission, you will still need to meet the foreign language requirement of your college for graduation or petition for a non-primary language substitution.

When should I apply for DRES services?

Once you have been accepted to the University of Illinois, you can apply for DRES services.

How does DRES determine what accommodations and services I should receive?

Each student who registers with DRES is assigned an access specialist who is the contact person for disability-related issues while the student is enrolled at Illinois. Access specialists work collaboratively with students and their instructors to determine effective classroom accommodations and services based on the student’s documentation, identified needs, and history of accommodation use.

Access specialists also consult with students with disabilities and appropriate university personnel to promote disability access to non-academic services and resources. It is important to note that some accommodations that the student may have received in high school, such as curricular modifications, may not be appropriate in the college setting. Conversely, some accommodations that the student may not have had the opportunity to use in high school (such as assistive/adaptive technology) may be available and appropriate for the student at Illinois.

If I need personal assistants to perform basic activities of daily living, what services are available?

Beckwith Residential Support Program at Nugent Hall will provide PA services for students with disabilities as required to accommodate their performance of activities of daily living. Activities of daily living include, but are not limited to, assisting with showering, dressing, bowel and bladder care, and transfers. Please see our section on Beckwith Residential Support Services at Nugent Hall for more information.

How do I locate accessible routes, entries and elevators to campus buildings?

DRES staff can assist students with disabilities in identifying travel routes and building locations, as well as the location of ramps and elevators. You can locate building accessibility information by going to the campus ADA Accessibility Information page.

If I wish to participate in adapted sports, what types of programs and services do you offer?

The opportunities to compete in Men’s and Women’s Wheelchair Basketball as well as Track and Field are highlighted in the Athletics section.

Is accessible campus transportation available?

The DRES Office of Transportation operates an accessible campus transportation system incorporating uniquely designed buses equipped with hydraulic lifts. Please see the Getting Around section for more information.

How do I arrange for a campus visit?

You can view a number of options at Visit Illinois (Office of Undergraduate Admissions website).

To schedule an appointment to visit DRES, call (217) 333-1970 or email us.

Does DRES help with arranging housing on campus?

Students are responsible for making their own housing arrangements on the campus. DRES is available to act as a resource for contact information and if students request ADA accommodations through housing, they will need to register with DRES first. Please see our Living Accommodations section with pages on Beckwith Residential Support Services at Nugent Residence Hall and alternative Accessible Living Accommodations.