Housing Accommodations

Students with disabilities have a variety of options for accessible living environments/accommodations at the University of Illinois.  Beckwith Residential Support Services on the first floor of Nugent Hall is available for students with severe physical disabilities who need assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs) and require personal assistant services. Both University Housing and Private Certified Housing have accessible accommodations to meet the needs of students with disabilities. Hendrick HouseIllini Tower, and Newman Hall are private certified halls that students with disabilities have successfully lived in during the school year and during the summer session.

University Housing and Private Certified Housing Accommodations: If you believe you require housing accommodations due to a documented disability-related condition, you will need to register with the Division of Disability Resources and Educational Services (DRES) in addition to submitting your housing application. DRES is responsible for providing services to students with disabilities and is available to consult with other areas of campus regarding ADA accessibility issues. For further information on housing accommodations, you can visit the Housing website. PLEASE NOTE: DRES will not share housing-related letters of support with the Housing Information Office (University Housing) directly. It is the student’s responsibility to provide a copy of the housing-related letter of support to the Housing Information Office. The housing-related letter of support plays an important part in the assignment process. 

Those who want to explore accessible apartment options in the community should contact the University’s Tenant Union for assistance with reviewing leases, dealing with landlord problems and locating housing.

Students with disabilities have a vast number of options for accessible living accommodations within University Housing and the community.  If you are a student who needs personal assistants for activities of daily living, then Beckwith Residential Support Services (BRSS) at Nugent Hall is a great option for receiving the support and educational opportunities needed to help you manage your disability on a daily basis.

If you have a disability that does not require the use of personal assistants, or you do not need the structured support of BRSS, you will find the section on Accessible Living Accommodations helpful as you decide where you want to live while a student at the University of Illinois.  If you need ADA accommodations through Housing, you will need to first register with DRES as a student with a disability and then follow the instructions on the University Housing website.