The University of Illinois CAM includes the Policy on Multimedia Accessibility. Please take a moment to read the policy and feel free to share with us any questions you may have. Accessible Media Services (AMS) is available to assist you with video captioning.
How do I get media captioned by AMS?
- Check to see if the library owns a copy of the video already captioned. AMS will not caption a video that the library already has available with captioning.
- If the library owns the video, but it is not captioned, let us know and we will have the library send it to us for captioning. Then you would check it out from the library as usual.
- If the Library does not have a copy of the video, please contact them to see if they can purchase access/material.
- You will be contacted to confirm that we received your request.
- Non-student AMS rates can be found on the DRES Billing (Non-Student) page.
AMS processes materials for DRES students first, and then we will work on non-DRES-student material. We will process this material on a first-come, first-serve basis. If you would like an approximate turnaround time, please email Ann Fredricksen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What does it cost to have something captioned?
DRES will bill on a quarterly basis on what media has been completely processed. The rate for captioning is currently $2.90 per minute of video with a minimum charge per video of $15.00. If you provide us with a ‘good’ transcript, the cost is $1.50 per minute of video. DRES will begin charging starting January 1, 2015. The first bill will be submitted at the end of the first quarter.
You may outsource your material to be captioned by an outside company. There are many companies out there and DRES does not endorse or suggest one vendor over another. We do have a list of questions that we think you should ask and consider in purchasing quality captions.
Can I caption my own videos?
You may also caption your own videos. You may schedule an appointment via email with our office and we would be happy to talk you through your options.