Housing Accommodations

Students with disabilities have a variety of options for accessible living environments/accommodations at the University of Illinois.  Beckwith Residential Support Services on the first floor of Nugent Hall is available for students with severe physical disabilities who need assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs) and require personal assistant services. Both University Housing and Private Certified Housing have accessible accommodations to meet the needs of students with disabilities. Hendrick HouseIllini Tower, and Newman Hall are private certified halls that students with disabilities have successfully lived in during the school year and during the summer session.

University Housing and Private Certified Housing Accommodations: If you believe you require housing accommodations due to a documented disability-related condition, you will need to register with the Division of Disability Resources and Educational Services (DRES) in addition to submitting your housing application. DRES is responsible for providing services to students with disabilities and is available to consult with other areas of campus regarding ADA accessibility issues. For further information on housing accommodations, you can visit the Housing website. PLEASE NOTE: DRES will not share housing-related letters of support with the Housing Information Office (University Housing) directly. It is the student’s responsibility to provide a copy of the housing-related letter of support to the Housing Information Office. The housing-related letter of support plays an important part in the assignment process. 

Those who want to explore accessible apartment options in the community should contact the University’s Tenant Union for assistance with reviewing leases, dealing with landlord problems and locating housing.